Friday, May 27, 2005

Explanation of last 2 pictures

I put up the last two pictures to show the almost ironic clothing differences in Indonesia. Indonesia, being the world's most populous Muslim country, is often seen as being really strict. Apparently in the Qu'ran or something it says women shouldnt show off too much skin. But you can see all sort of fashion in Indo. The last pic (with the Miss Universe person) and the other competitors was to show the difference between conservative dressing and non-conservative dressing. It's sort of like it's world aparts.

I read somewhere that Turkey (also a very Islamic country) and the German contestant (who is also Muslim) are going to wear two piece swim suits.

In my opinion, people should be able to wear what they want to wear (as long as its appropriate) to things. But I guess its what is deemed appropriate is the thing that people argue about.

I remember my cousin telling me that at the swimming pool there was a Muslim girl who was a very good swimmer, and straight after she got out of the pool from doing her laps, her mum quickly covered her with a towel, and when the swimmer approached the pool the mum would cover her daughter as well. Which to me is kinda weird, but I guess it's the only way not to show off too much of your skin at the pool! When my cousin, my family and my auntie and uncle went to Busselton for Christmas one yr, we met this couple & their kid who were Indonesian and Muslim. It was a really hot day (as it always is on Christmas) and the male just took off most of his clothes and went for a swim, while the Muslim lady had to roll up her clothes so she wouldn't get wet. I felt so sorry for her cos it would've been so nice to have a proper dip in the ocean on such a sweltering hot day.

No comments: